When: Queens Birthday Long Weekend 2013
Time: 10:00am - 4:00pm Daily
Info: The Alexandra Truck, Ute and Rod show is a great family day out, with free admission, kids amusements in the park and plenty of food and refreshments on sale.
Visitor Profile data has been taken from the Goulburn River Valley 2011 - 2016 Tourism Development Strategy.
This information will come in handy when you are applying for grants or funding. Information detailed below should be read in conjunction with the Goulburn River Valley Tourism Development Strategy, Marketing Strategy and relevant visitation statistics.
- The Goulburn River Valley Tourism Region attracts almost seven million visitors per annum.
- Tourism Research Australia data shows that Goulburn River Valley Tourism Region received more visitors per annum on average over the previous five years than Yarra Valley and the Dandenong Ranges, and Daylesford and Macedon Ranges, despite its comparatively low profile as a tourism destination.
- The majority of visitors to the Goulburn River Valley Tourism Region are daytrip visitors (71%).
- International visitors make up only 1% of total regional visitation. Goulburn River Valley Tourism Region receives a relatively high proportion of domestic overnight visitation (29%) when compared with some of its neighbouring Tourism Victoria Campaign Regions of Daylesford and Macedon Ranges (24%) and Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges (19%) despite being in similar distance to the metropolitan area.
- Holiday and leisure is the most common purpose of visit to the Goulburn River Valley Tourism Region. Murrindindi receives a particularly high proportion of holiday and leisure visitors (67%) as a result of its large nature-based tourism product offer. Greater Shepparton and Mitchell Shires receive the highest proportion of overnight visitors visiting friends and relatives (49% and 46% respectively) and overnight business visitors (20% and 21% respectively). This is most likely due to their larger resident populations and diversified economies.
- The average length of stay in the Goulburn River Valley Tourism Region is 2.45 nights for domestic visitors and 6.10 nights for international visitors. This is in line with the domestic average for Daylesford and Macedon Ranges (2.39 nights) and Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges (2.49 nights).
- Over one-quarter (26%) of international visitors to Goulburn River Valley Tourism Region are backpackers.
- Only 1% of domestic visitors and 8% of international visitors to Goulburn River Valley Tourism Region are visiting as part of a package tour. This is considerably lower than the proportion of package-tour visitors to the surrounding regions such as High Country (26% domestic and 11% international) and Murray (11% domestic, 9% international).
- The majority of daytrip and overnight domestic visitors to Goulburn River Valley Tourism Region originate from Melbourne (61% and 58% respectively). Mitchell receives the highest proportion of interstate overnight visitors (28%) and Greater Shepparton receives the most interstate daytrip visitors (9%). The most common countries of origin for international visitors to Goulburn River Valley Tourism Region are New Zealand (23%) and United Kingdom (17%). This is in line with the regional Victorian average. There is opportunity to leverage greater benefit from visitors travelling to Melbourne via the Hume Highway through increasing awareness of the region and visitor dispersal. This may be achieved through high- quality signage, touring maps and visitor information.
- The visitor age distribution is consistent across the Goulburn River Valley Tourism Region with 37% of overnight visitors aged between 25 and 44 years and a further 34% aged between 45 and 64 years. Strathbogie Shire receives a slightly lower proportion of visitors aged between 15 and 24 years (9% overnight, 7% daytrip). The age profile demonstrates that the key markets are young families and midlife adult couples.
* Information taken from Goulburn River Valley Tourism Development Plan 2011 - 2016